Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Belated celebration

August 3, 3072
Red Dawn Base
Office of Lt. Halas

Contrary Russian! I love the man more than I can believe, but there are times I would dearly love to strangle him. First he chides me for trying to be discreet about our relationship then he almost panics when Reinstadt and Deschain see us together.

And he calls me a goofball.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Yesterday was the day we were finally able to coordinate our schedules so I could take him out for a very belated celebration of his birthday. Thinking to share something I enjoyed doing, I took him out for a horse riding trip. Inflicting Victor and Spyros on Major Martinette was a better idea.

Who would have thought that a man who has no problems taking a completely unfamiliar mech into the heat of battle with the Clan would be terrified of horses? Unfortunately that was something I hadn't taken into account. Though I did take into account the likelihood that he'd never ridden before.

I'll admit, watching him freak out when introduced to the very placid mare that was to be his mount was amusing. Though at the time my mortification at how things were going tied with the amusement. In all honesty, I felt sorry more for the horse than for Nicholai. Especially when he fell off after the horse stopped at his panicked clutching of the reins. Then my thickheaded beau had to prove his stubborness by insisting on continuing to ride. Apparently he didn't appreciate my offer of having him ride behind me on my horse with his on a lead.

If I didn't know better my horse was laughing at his and his kept giving me this look of "It's all your fault".

Somehow I managed to coax Nicholai into feeding his horse some treats which took the edge off his fear which made the trip back much easier.

At least lunch went well and he appreciated the gifts. Nicholai was cute when he saw the matching ashtray to the cigarette case I'd gotten him for Christmas. Apparently he did pick up on the clues I'd left to show who'd given him the case, even if he didn't say anything. Initially he gave me a scare when he said the disgusting thing he'd been using all this time was a family heirloom. After he stopped laughing at my expense he admitted he'd found it in his original office here on Outreach. How he could keep using something that revolting is beyond me.

As for the second gift... I can't say he liked it. Hell, I can't say I liked it and I made the damn thing. But he was taken by the work I'd put into it and I think I can easily say that I don't think I'll ever make anything like it again. But he had to know what I felt when I saw that Timberwolf waving the unit colors so very defiantely against the Clan assault. At the time I didn't know it was Nicholai, and I won't say my courage was failing me, but the sight did give me heart. Granted when I learned who was piloting it, I got a greater boost, but all the same... It was possibly one of the most inspiring sights I'd encountered in my life.

One I hope I never see again to echo the words of my boyfriend.

And the silly Russian thought I'd given him a sword when I first handed him the wrapped picture. Oddly enough the quote I'd chosen was from the author he did his thesis on while he was at the Goshen Academy. All I'd done was a search on a quote involving wolves with a word style that seemed to fit some of the quotes he's used in the past. It would seem this "Tolkien" has had some influence on how he sees life, perhaps I'll see if I can find any of works. After working for 2-3 months on that cross-stitch I'm going to give my eyes and hands a break. Especially seeing I desparately need to restock my supplies.

The ride back was thankfully uneventful except for all the complaints about the evilness of horses. I'm glad I didn't arrange for looking at some ranch properties. Somehow I don't think he would've enjoyed the thought of looking at potential future breeding grounds of what he termed "four footed beasts of evil".

To have a picture of my love's expression when he saw the resturant. It was even more priceless when I told him that I'd learned about it from dad. Apparently the image of my father in casual clothing instead of a suit strained his imagination.

Nicholai definitely enjoyed the food. I don't think I've seen him gorge so much, if our schedules permitted I'd take him there more often. He would definitely gain some much needed weight.

I expected the birthday cake to be dumped on my head when Amy and her staff showed up with it singing to him. While he fussed, it was fairly obvious that he was trying not to smile. Like the rest of the food, the cake was wonderful, and my stomach ached at the amount of cake Nicholai stuffed into himself ontop of the food. Still it was a wondeful sight.

Of course my father had to throw in his own little surprise, though I'm suspicious as to who let him in on the dinner plans. Still the song was lovely both in the words and the voice of the waitress who sang it. It seemed like dad had to let us know what he thought of the relationship and his hopes for it. His matchmaking is getting less and less subtle.

I do love Nicholai Kasperov and wouldn't mind our relationship becoming something more, but I don't want to rush.

After dad's surprise came another of mine.

I'd arranged with Reinstadt and Deschain to have another duet. Being the mischevious bastards they can be, they were quite happy to figuratively tweak the nose of their bossman, though Deschain had to make a comment about my forgiveness.

Between performances Nicholai paid me a compliment that will likely warm me for a long time. He called me an amazing partner. He can be such a sweetheart.

We left the resturant shortly after the captains paid their respects.

I heard a snippet of a song once, I can't remember the name or the artist, but it was about a lover with blonde hair and eyes of blue fire. That best described my beloved when I told him I loved him in my very limited and hard learned Russian vocabulary.

He showed me in other ways how he feels about me.

Happy birthday, my love, may we have many more such celebrations together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home