Monday, March 20, 2006

Welcome home

June 27, 3072
Red Dawn Barracks

So last night dad took me out to dinner and in the process show off his new toy: an aircar. I love the man dearly, but if I didn't know better I'd say he's gong through a mid-life crisis. First he goes through BA training, now an aircar...I don't want to think about what he'll come up with next.

For the most part it was a wonderful evening and gave us time to catch up on the going in one another lives since most of the unit shipped out to Lothan. He also helped me come to better terms with the events on Lothan. Yet I felt like I was dancing on knives the entire time since I never knew the next words said that would hurt one or both of us.

And it was one of the contributions to my happy little nightmare last night. No big surprise, considering the fact he said I reminded him of my mother before she turned into a Tharkad Ice Bitch. Compounded by the fact that the CO of the 2nd Calvary is a Lyran Martinette...yeah, happy dreams and the awakening of old fears.

Dammit Lana, stop doing this and don't let it keep happening. You aren't your mother.

Deep breath, Marlana, deep breath. Don't let these things get to you. Your father didn't meant to hurt you and you'll deal with the Martinette. Maybe see if you can bribe Jain into taking him out on a night on the town. A tame one, wouldn't do to cause your new CO to keel over from a heart attack. And if that doesn't work, sic Victor and Spyros on him.

Hmm, scratch the last idea, that's not a good one.

Best to let events play themselves as they will.

Though I have to say it was rather surprising to see Captains Deschain and Reichert at the resturant last night. Even more astonishing was the fact that they can apparently carry a tune. Even dad seemed surprised.

Think I might have to take Nicholai there at some point, maybe for a late birthday celebration? Should be worth it just to see his reaction. Hell, I never thought I'd like a place that was Old Earth Western. But the food was great, the atmosphere was relaxing and it was just an all around fantastic place. Pity duty called for my love, but we're making do. He seemed somewhat bemused to wake up this morning to me cooking breakfast, but he ate well enough. Should be amusing to see his reaction to having dinner ready for when he finally finishes overworking himself. Damn, if I'm not careful I'll turn into Suzy Homemaker. Ah well, it's still good to see him eating well.

It's so hard to watch the abuse he puts himself through without thinking about it, yet there's no way I can make myself want to have him change. Wanting someone to change generally means you don't want that person. A person's flaws make him up as much as his virtues. So I'll just continue to do what I can to encourage Nicholai to take better care of himself, but I won't force him.

Just hope the "little project" I've been working on for him goes over well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home