Saturday, January 14, 2006

The joke's on us

April 8, 3072
Lothan
Task Force Legend LZ – Red Dawn Sleipner Class Dropship Lincoln’s Curse

Once again the universe has proven it has a nasty sense of humor. Yesterday we made our presence known to Clan Wolf to help begin the start of pushing the Clans out of the Inner Sphere. As usual things didn’t go quite as planned. Nicholai’s and Major Dante’s SOGs were ripped apart as well as the vees and armor from my SOG. The worst part was that it was just five mechs each.

Five mechs, the mind boggles.

I have never felt such relief as I did when I saw Nicholai was alive and well. When I heard the signal of Red Dawn Actual down…I kept going. Though what I really wanted to do was curl up in a little ball and howl. That would have done no good and a great deal of harm. So I did what every soldier has learned to do, keep going no matter the pain.

But really the worst part was sitting in my mech hearing my people dying and not being able to do a goddamn thing. The doors on the mechbay for the Heretics suffered a malfunction and weren’t open until after the raid made on our LZ was long over.

All I could do was help take care of the injured in triage. Some…some all I could do was just hold their hands as they left this life for whatever is to be found at the clearing at the end of the path.

Then I couldn’t even do that when Mueller’s security pushed everyone except the actual medics out of the area with the injured Lt. Summers. That was bad and looks as if she’s going to be out of action for awhile. I can’t list the dead at this time, it’s too painful, for now I’m thankful for those still living.

Especially Nicholai.

I’m still worried about him, even though last night I think managed to help him get over the worst of the immediate despair. The losses hit him hard, harder than I think most realize. He obviously was still thinking clearly because he arranged with the Medusans to find a way to eliminate the Wolves’ air superiority, but at the cost of being unable to perform during the rest of the contract.

He was hurting so much, yet it didn’t occur to me to just hold him. No, instead I had to get angry and provoke him into getting angry.

Good move there, Lonnie. Idiot.

Ah well. We did kiss and make up for it.

I just hope that those of us remaining will see to the end of the contract. Successfully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home