Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Random Update

December 9, 3071
Outreach
Red Dawn Barracks

It was a lovely afternoon, or at least in Lonnie's opinion as she basked in the early afternoon sun dressed only in an old t-shirt that had faded to an intermediate grey, the logo (if there had been one) was long gone, khaki shorts and combat boots, her white hair pulled back into a short pig-tail. It was a far more casual look than was typical, combined with the air of relaxation about her, she seemed to be almost a different person, which prompted those on guard duty to pause for a moment in their rounds to make sure she was indeed Sgt. Silvestri. Her eyes danced with amusement as she assured one young man that no she wasn't freezing and that she didn't need a coat, that to her it was a lovely summer day. Lonnie tried hard to hide her amusement, it was obvious he meant well and while she couldn't tell him outright, compared to Tharkad at this time of year, the weather was very balmy for her.

Finally she was left alone and she closed the file she'd been studying on Sheratan, the location of the company's actual contract. For security reasons she'd chosen not to use voice recognition software that she normally used choosing to use the holographic keyboard display attachment instead. In an odd way it felt good to be typing instead of talking, but her usual spots made typing probelmatical and for some reason today she didn't feel like complete seclusion. With a sip of coffee from the large mug at hand, Lonnie's long, slim and elegant fingers began to speed over the keyboard.

"New Journal Entry, manual access."

"Life has certainly been interesting, we won a fairly desicive victory against Vicore and won four mechs which the Commander was able to use to get a good bit of cash for the unit. Even though I feel like I didn't do much in that combat, other than to act as bait, it felt good to be a part of something to help contribute to the unit. Though supposedly we'll be getting our kits this afternoon and will start doing guard duty. Odd, I never thought I would miss it, but I do. The others would laugh at me, but this is the most idle I've been in a long time. Before this my 'downtime' was taken up by the duties someone my rank had, even if I was in school or the LAAF."

She grinned a little.

"Actually, no, I don't think my lancemates would laugh at the fact I'm looking forward to guard duty again. They would just say some variation of 'I'm not surprised, we're dealing with Lonnie'. Just like they all said "Well, that explains a lot", when I finally told them who I really am. Even if it ended up being individually rather than as a group. Though looking back at how they each reacted, I'm glad it was one on one. And Richardson is the only one who reacted the way I expected which was basically 'And your point is?' Though I think I earned a very small sliver of respect from him when I said I didn't want to use my connections to lead a lance. I'm well aware I have no business trying to command anyone. All I'd do is lead them to their deaths and I can't do that to people who would trust me to lead them well."

Pausing from her typing, she absently laced her hands together, fingers laying along the back of the opposite hand and extended her hands with the palms out, cracking her knuckles. Then she drank some more of the coffee, truly appreciating the fact that it was the good stuff before resuming her typing.

"Jain... well not sure how to put down what Jain's reaction was. I think she may have been a little hurt or insulted that I didn't exactly trust the lance, and she also seemed a bit... Hm, not sure. She seemed a little impressed at the fact my mother is rich. Then again she comes from the MoC which tends to have the belief that you can buy anything. Maybe there you can, but in the Alliance if you don't have the political connections, money won't get you everywhere. But I didn't feel like belaboring the matter with her. I'd like to see if I can gain some sort of tenuous friendship and getting prissy won't do that."

"Oddly enough, Victor understood why I lied about who I really am. Though after he told me that he'd been somewhat on the run himself due to his father's involvement with politics, I can now understand to a certain degree. Never thought he'd have understanding for a Lyran though considering the hate he has for my nation. Not that I can entirely blame him, I suspect the fact I'm not entirely fond of many of my countrymen helps somewhat. The fact that my brief display of temper made him wary of me is something that I'm not happy about. Hopefully that won't negatively impact our relationship as lancemates."

Lonnie stretched a little then sighed as she rubbed at the tense muscles in her neck. She hadn't actually typed so much in a long time and her body was letting her know about it.

"I'm not too happy about typing out this entry, but the day was too lovely to spend indoors and I'm not sure if it's safe for me to use the voice recognition software outside the barracks. And I'm not being overly paranoid, Captain Mueller told us that there had been a perimeter breach last night by someone in a sneak suit. We weren't the only ones, and no one knows how much was learned by the infiltrators. So security has been increased. After hearing about what our real contract is, I'm inclined to believe it's the WoBs, but no one has any proof, though it would had to have been a group with a good deal of money and very good connections. If it's the type of suit I think it is, it costs a stupid amount of money to acquire. But, we'll see."

"As for the real contract? Well it seems that we've been contracted to do a raid into Blakist territory on the world of Sheratan to rescue POWs the WoB claims they don't have. But like Jain said, it's all too easy to believe that they would have prisoners they won't admit to. I've been trying to see if I can dig up any information on the world discretely, but there doesn't seem to be much. Thankfully it doesn't seem to have been nuked to hell and back like Caph, but we'll find out. This means that we aren't shipping out tomorrow after all, but in a week to ten days. Means I have more time to distribute my gifts to everyone. I hope that Signore Cabella likes the little basket I orderd for him and his beloved."

"Though with the increased security due to last night's incursion it meanss not going off base alone, which makes sense. Glad I didn't have plans that needed to be cancelled, and I can't believe Jain just outright asked Mueller to go clubbing with her tonight."

She grinned a bit ruefully.

"Not that I'm faulting her or anything, I would have liked to have asked Nicholai out to dinner and dancing, or catch a show, but I don't dare. I haven't seen any indication from him that he might feel anything for me beyond the fact I'm one of his soldiers. It's funny, I normally have no problems being blunt about how I feel about someone, and I'm used to rejection... But this is different. And not just because he's my employer and commanding officer. Guess time will tell on that front, but it's hard to see him everyday, even if it's just in passing and trying to hide how I feel. And I'm torn between hoping we're on the same dropship and dreading it."

"Think I've had enough typing for one day. End journal entry."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home