Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Victory

Taking the opportunity to get a breather, the tired, but happy, white haired mechwarrior first leaned against the wall to one of the buildings in the current HQ of the Red Dawn, then slowly slid to the ground. Keeping her knees slightly bent in front of her, Lonnie pulled out her noteputer then turned it on.

"New journal entry."

The soft chiming was heard.

"It's been a week since my last update, what a week. Testing, training... There's going to be more of that before we're really ready, but Bravo Lance now has one victory to it's name. It's bloodless and was obviously meant to just be a test and was through sheer luck. It's still a win, and against a Lance of mechwarriors who have obviously been together for some time, and they were part of a historied company no less."

She fell silent for a moment, remembering the day's mock battle and smiled.

"I was afraid I was going to screw things up from the start when I mentally locked at combating former House Steiner troops. But I got over it quickly at least. And I know I was fighting too defensively, but I was able to contribute to the team's win, and that's something right there."

"This was the first time an exercise like this meant something to me. I... I wish I knew how to put into words what I feel. But the people in the Lance and the entire company, not just Dad and Uncle Sledge, actually mean something to me. For all that Commander Kasperov's speech last week didn't do anything for me, even if I'm still trying not to read anymore meaning into the part that he seemed to direct to me."

The slim woman laughed a bit, "He was obviously refering to my response of 'My all of our future endeavors be successful' when he said that 'We will forge a future together. And we will be successful.' But he seemed so...tentative. He refused to let Richardson stare him down, and accepted Victor's and Jain's defiance and pride, but he seemed to have a hard time meeting my gaze."

"I'm just reading too much into a comment made by a man I've only talked to maybe a couple of times. Though I will admit that he was there in full dress uniform to see out to a mock combat touched my heart in a way no speech, however pretty it is, has ever done. That he would do us such honor..."

Pausing again, she blinked her eyes, telling herself that the tears were from some dust, not actually getting emotional over something a man she had mixed feelings about had done.

Then continued briskly.

"We definitely need alot of work, I was too cautious, Victor too brash and Jain was out to cook herself. Poor Richardson, I'll admit I'm looking forward to the dressing down we're going to be in for, he sounded like he could teach some interesting vocabulary. Have a feeling it may not be as bad as it could have been since we got damn lucky with knocking down the opposition."

"What amazes me is the fact most of the company were waiting for us at base. Cheering no less. I... didn't react well. And fortunately or unfortunately, Uncle Sledge was right in the forefront and Dad was right in the back. Not surprisingly Dad knew who I was, probably as soon as I got hired onto the company. Uncle Sledge hasn't said anything, but I doubt I've slipped by him either."

"Dad isn't angry and he's proud of me. Then he told me to stop fussing, I'm part of the family wheather I like it or not." She laughed a little. "That's Dad, just wish I hadn't been kept so busy, I wanted to talk to him before this, to tell him. But we'll be able to meet later, and I feel like a huge burden has been taken off my shoulders."

Her chronometer beeped, looking down she cursed softly.

"Debriefing time, this should be interesting. End journal entry."

Hopping to her feet, Lonnie slid the noteputer into it's pocket on her jumpsuit, then she double timed it to the meeting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home