Friday, March 18, 2005

Musings

Red Dawn Temporary Barracks
Outreach
November 22, 3071

Once again at her favorite perch near her barracks, Lonnie stretched out, enjoying her stolen moment of privacy. While she hadn't put back on any of her lost weight, she was definitely in better shape: harder, leaner, elfin features sharper, but still very attractive.

"New Journal Entry."

"I thought the first week was rough, this has been much more intensive, but in a good way. Captain Mueller is a hard taskmaster, but fair and I really do wish I had more instructors like him in the Academy. In a perverse way I'm enjoying this, though the others don't seem to be. I can already see improvements, not just physically, but in handling a mech. Now if only my Herc didn't keep having ammo explosions in the simulator runs."

She stifled a yawn behind her hand.

"I need to try to get more rest, but I want to put in as much time into training as I can. My skills are already getting back to what they were at my height at the Academy. And now... with the kind of training I've been getting, I think my skills will actually be honed so I can be more than merely competent."

Lonnie sat there for a moment, savoring the thought as the wind toyed with her hair, then she sobered.

"My only concern is still the matter of leadership, during one of the sim runs it was just Jain, Victor and myself. Despite a tactical error on my part that got Victor 'killed' and my mech destroyed, I definitely had both of them listening to me far better than they did with Richardson. I just hope this doesn't cause more problems in our already troubled Lance. Then again, it probably won't since I hardly talk with them except for matters of business and even then that's strained. Guess my little snit fit at dinner a week ago really killed things there."

"Once again, that's something I can't really do anything about except over time. It's been only a couple of weeks, still need time to get used to each other. The ironic thing is I probably get along better with the people in Mueller's BA unit, since they've been kind enough to work out a schedule to give me extra training in unarmed combat. That has really helped work on my focus, might see if I can shorting the unarmed comabat and get in some other training in."

Absently she ran her hand through her hair and looked at how long it was starting to get. "Should probably cut my hair, letting it get this long has been pure vanity, even if it's cut to avoid causing interferance with the neurohelmet. Something to think about it."

Her chronometer beeped and she jumped to her feet.

"Time to head back to the grind. End Journal Entry"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home