Monday, January 23, 2006

Time for a change

April 10, 2005
Mechbay, Office of William "Sledge" Halas
Sleipnir Class Dropship Lincoln's Curse
Lothan System, Clan Wolf Occupation Zone, Ingars Continent

"All right niece o'mine, what are you trying to bribe me for this time? I hope you're not looking for me to get you out of trouble with your boyfriend." A broad grin was accompanied by a glint of amusement in dark eyes as the older man reached for the pot of fresh coffee and one of the two mugs sitting on his hastily cleared desk. The bright blue eyes of the young mechwarrior lounging in the chair opposite from him mock widened with feigned innocence as their owner dimpled with her impish smile. "And when are you going to stop bleaching your hair?"

The smile broadened into a cheeky grin, "It's more like I stopped dying my hair. And why would I try to bribe you?"

He paused in the middle of pouring his drink to stare at his niece, "Christ, Lonnie, what the hell did you do to yourself? Even your old father hasn't gone completely grey."

The pale haired woman shrugged, then neatly snagged the pot from Sledge, finished filling his cup before starting to fill her own. The small area was filled with the scent of not just freshly brewed coffee, but freshly ground. "Shortly after the first time I used a neurohelmet in the 'Ring I notice a streak of white in my hair, by the time I was hospitalized because of the fish I'd gone completely white. Hell if I know what caused it, just decided it was better to dye my hair rather than deal with my mother."

His niece dimpled again at Sledge, "Besides, it lends an "hair" of authority to my youthful face." She hastily ducked down from the thrown object that Sledge launched at her without spilling a drop from her mug.

"I'm not sure who has been a worse influence on you, your Lance or your boyfriend", was growled as she cautiously peeked over the edge of the desk. He sighed melodramatically, "Its safe to come up, el-tee."

"So, seriously, what brought you here with a pot of the really good stuff. Not that I don't mind you visiting, but you've got something going in that devious little mind of yours."

She took a healthy sip from her mug and closed her eyes to savor the taste for a moment since the stash of beans she'd brought with her wasn't very large. When she opened her eyes, there was still a faint twinkle of good humor, but for the most part her expression was serious.
"Well, if that's the case... I need to have a correction made to my helmet."

He stared at her for a moment wondering where she was going with the request. "What sort of correction? I thought you liked what Hiroko painted on it."

"Oh, there's nothing wrong with it, I rather like it. No, actually, my last name on it is wrong. I'd like to have it corrected."

"There's nothing wro-" Sledge stopped and stared at his niece again realizing there was no laughter in her eyes as he realized just where she was going. Silence stretched between them as he drank his coffee and considered the implications.

"No games?"

The shoulder length white hair whispered slightly as it brushed along the shoulders of her uniform as she shook her head with an oddly intense look in those brilliant eyes. "No games, no more lies, no more running. It's time for me to be me."

"It has to do with that message from Tharkad, doesn't it."

"Indeed. My darling mother really did have one of her schemes bite her in the ass. It seems she'd gotten involved with some terrorists consisting of some very hardcore Katrina supporters -"She held up a hand as he started to speak, "Let me finish, please Uncle Billy. This is hard enough as it is."

At his gesture to continue she took a slightly shakey breath and let it out slowly. "They apparently had some insane idea to take the Archon out. There was an explosive device in the basement of mother's estate. Governmental authorities discovered the scheme and sent a Lohengren team in, there was a firefight with the security forces present..." She fell silent for a moment, looking down into her mug. Without saying anything he reached over the desk and covered one of her hands earning him a weak smile.

"They don't know if she's alive or not, but it doesn't matter. Either way her power base is gone."

He refreshed their cups and looked at her steadily, "And what is Marlana Halas going to do now?"

She smiled at him, "Live my life. Officially mother and the rest died due to a faulty generator setting off a forgotten fuel supply. I've publicly declared I have no desire for her titles, lands, etc. Unofficially, the government wanted a deal that was more than fair. Half of her estate is going to various charitable causes of my discretion, a quarter goes to the government to help rebuild, the rest to me. The titles and lands to be dispensed as the Archon wishes. There was a catch though."

"You had to go back to your birth name."

She nodded slightly, "Yeah, to add emphasis to the official story. And best of all, both Alex and I are forgiven for our deception by the government."

Silence again as the two regarded each other, the unspoken question hanging in the air.

Abruptly Sledge stood up, grabbed the slim woman by the shoulders to her feet then gave her a bear hug. "Welcome home, Marlana."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home