Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Of proposals and promotions

November 1, 3072

He’s asked me to be his wife.

Of course I accepted. How could I not? He makes my heart sing like no one else ever could not to mention making me feel alive in ways I could never imagine. But this isn’t just romance and hormones, though there’s plenty of both, there’s also respect and friendship. Nicholai is the partner I never dared dream of or even hope for. And he seems to feel the same way about me.

In my mind the last few days have been a turning point. One of the fears I hadn’t dared voice to myself was that we would favor one another should we be in combat together. We didn’t, even though there were times we asked each other if we were insane, so it bodes well considering the other major change in my life.

That we can work together professionally is a very good thing now since I am now a subordinate officer answering directly to the Colonel in the newly formed command company. Before his death, Lt. Chubarov gave the commander plans to create a command company instead of forming a third cavalry. It would give the new Captain of the mech forces a chance to get experience before dealing with the rigors of a fully cavalry command with the intention of the candidate training their successor before moving on to the 3rd when it’s formed. He got approval from the senior officers not only for the idea of the new company, but also his choice of candidate before he presented the entire thing to the Colonel.

Needless to say I was rather surprised at the fact I was the one Chubarov chose to take the position. The reasons ranged from the act that still mortifies me to this day to making me want to squirm in embarrassment at the praise given for my performance since joining the Red Dawn. I never realized how many people not only respected, but also seem to like me a great deal. It’s…humbling. All I have ever asked for is respect which I have tried to give in return. I never expected or looked for more than that.

So I accepted the position. Partly because it would mean advancement for my lance as a whole, partly out of respect for the fallen who felt I would do well, partly because I’ve found that I’ve been bitten by the command bug. It’s not that I enjoy having power over those in my command, but it’s the fact that I’d worry about them being placed under someone else who may not care about them as much as I do. But mainly, I’ve taken the position for myself, as selfish as that may seem. For the first time in my life I have a chance at controlling my own future and I mean to seize it before it fades away. I know this is going to be a hard, often thankless, position, but it’s a future with people I have come to care a great deal about.

I also know that Dad, and to some extent Uncle Billy, is not entirely happy about the path I’ve chosen, but I think that they both are slowly coming to realize what this unit means to me. I just wish I could have a conversation with my father that doesn’t eventually become morbid. Guess those emotional wounds still need to be lanced and drained for both of us before they can heal properly.

Oddly enough I no longer have the great concerns that I’m going to go down my mother’s path. Maybe because I’m finally coming into my own.

Nah. It’s more likely it’s because my friends and loved ones are more likely to kick my ass if I start showing the signs.

Though on a happier note last night was the first time I was able to really enjoy a Halloween party. Nicholai fulfilled his threat about the costume while proving just how mischievous he can be by dressing up as a pimp from ancient terra. Including the most ridiculous feathered hat I’ve seen in ages.

As silly and improbably as the costume was it looked really good on him.

The costume that really did get me though was seeing Mueller dressed up as a chauffeur. I pity the poor bastard that had the misfortune of putting that costume together. I don’t think Elgin sees many mini-Elementals.

It was a wonderful evening even though my love did decided he would live up to his outrageous outfit by keeping me hot and bothered all night. It was fun even though it was more risqué than what I’d normally go for.

The only time he wasn’t being frisky was when we were giving a gift to an old soldier, a veteran of Free Capella and the St. Ives Compact. One who was blinded by laser fire and whose arthritis kept him from being able to use a normal sized lighter. With my agreement, Nicholai gave him my Christmas gifts of assorted smoking paraphernalia as well as his unused smoking supplies. When the man thanked us, he did so in the belief that we were a young married couple.

Neither of us corrected him.

In a way last night was bittersweet since I never had a chance to tell Signore Cabella about my relationship with Nicholai and it was in his restaurant that I first started to fall for the man who won my heart. Maybe wherever his spirit has gone to rest would have a way of learning of the happy news since he’d been the one to try and matchmake the two of us from the start.

We don’t have anything set in stone at this time for the marriage simply because of the ongoing issues with the current contract. I have a feeling once the contract we’ll be able to start talking about what we want to do.

There are going to be dark times coming as always.

The bright ones will more than make up for them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home